Small Town Girl

random feelings put into words..

After a dedicated 1.25 years service to one of the oldest firms in Kochi – KGSA, I’m shifting to a new firm - INSPIRATION from coming Monday. YAY, lil excited. But “The million dollar question” – still remains unanswered!!

It literally is about a million dollars. When I started job hunt last year, the personal questions that interviewers would ask were not many. They were all the usual ones with typical answers. Positive points, negative points, strengths and weaknesses. Typical HR speak. Now that I have worked for more than a year I have *finally* managed to push myself in the ‘assessment of my market value’ whirlpool, the questions are again typical. But somehow I have still not been able to conclude what the best answer should be. One should always be prepared not to be caught unaware. I thought, with practice, I’ll be able to conclude the answer to that million dollar question – why do you want to leave your current job? But time and again, the reactions of the interviewers perplex me.

You should not appear as a flyer – changing jobs as quick as maybe clothes... Well ok, maybe not, maybe as quick as toothbrushes. So at least no flimsy reasons. The first approach I decided was to be honest. ‘More money’, I would state blatantly along with the usual, by now rattled-off-my-tongue kinda practiced sentences. After all, we all know that, that *is* the main reason. I soon realised. One of the best architecture firms in Kochi, had an interview with me. They asked me the reason why I wanted to shift and I stated the above, though of course coupled with a lot of other stuff about challenges at the workplace, growth, work culture et al. They never got back to me. In discussion with one of the consultants, who happened to know the philosophy behind the elimination process of this particular firm, I was made aware of the fact that ‘money should not be the main reason’. In fact you should not sound ‘greedy’. ‘But that’s a major reason why we all seek change, isn’t it?’ I asked. Still. That’s what he told me. Well, don’t know why I shouldn’t demand what I think I am worth. If its too high, may be we can negotiate, but at least I should be made aware.

I started concentrating on other issues. Like growth for example. Role enhancement for another. If I say I am not getting these at the current workplace, the next question automatically is whether I ever raised this issue with my bosses and what was done about it. If I say that I did and nothing was done about it, that perhaps gives a wrong idea again. May be about my performance. May be about my relationships with my seniors. May be about my competency or my persistence. Whatever. To say that I never talked to my bosses regarding my problems would be foolishness. I give different answers based on how I perceive the interviewer to react.

Another point is work culture. If I say that there were some things that I didn’t like, the interviewer tries to probe into what kind of things. Ultimately it boils down to the same things happening in all offices. Does that imply that I’ll never be able to adjust to the work culture of any job? If I give a slightly positive picture of the work culture then we come back to square one. Why on earth would I state work culture as a reason for my shifting if it’s quite commendable?!

There’s a fixed trend according to which people’s priorities change. When one’s a fresher, one is very enthusiastic and is ever willing to take on all the menial tasks and even do it for free if asked! But as you grow, things start getting to you. People realise that the company shouldn’t get to have its cake and eat it too, all the time. Priorities change.

But the million dollar question still remains unanswered. If I ask for a hefty (ok, not so hefty) salary, is it ‘bad’? Negotiation or feasibility are other things. But mentioning that I am in this thing for money, is it really the wrong move? I don’t think so. Not all people survive on the usual idealistic criteria for a dream job. Good work and good work culture are all passé, out of date. What matters today is the big bucks and the time that you get for yourself. Good work and hence work cultures are also very important, but I have seen people reach a compromise with them, as long as the other two criteria are getting satisfied. Is that approach wrong? 0_o

1 comments:

Hi,

A good write-up. More so asking those guys who sit on the other side of the desk throwing different questions at you, what they think of themselves- "GOD"?
I remember one such incidence of mine. "After an interview(technical) my present interviewer took me to his manager for the managerial round of interview. The manager started of on an informal note stating his name and that I had a brilliant previous interview and all. Then he started off with the same 'Why do you want to leave your previous employer?' And to be true I was facing problems with HR (as for 18 months I was denied leave to visit my parents) and pay was not good too. I started off with the HR stuff, thinking let me be truthful! And I still remember the manager cutting me in between the sentence and shouting out loud 'Bull-shit'. I was so angry that time I said 'If you dont think it to be true,then I think I wont be able to work with a person who has already set his mind about someone or somethings and getting past that notion would be an extra job apart from the said for which Im here for the interview!"............ I still remember getting a good offer from them, but declined stating the turn of events and my feeling about working under the manager!
But the truthfulness is something I have realized no one wants to listen to, though they all know about it! All are some saints who just want diplomacy! Mint money and be a diplomat!

luv 'n' luk
Arnab

About Me

My photo
okay first up, i would like to mention that i've deleted around 30 posts from the year 2007, 08 & 09 purely because they were a bit too personal.. talk about me?..I am easily hurt, prone to getting colds, choosy and always want the best, know how to make friends, talkative, daydreamer, friendly, temperamental, love to dress up, get easily bored, fussy, seldom show emotions, take time to recover when hurt, brand conscious, stubborn, Sensitive, polite and soft-spoken, Think far with vision, easily influenced by kindness, always have lots of ideas, have an active mind, always hesitating, tend to delay things, funny and humorous, love to joke, abiding,..blah blah blah.. the list just goes onn.. :P :)